Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Medical Update

We were awakened by the cell phone @ 6:55am this morning. Couldn't get to it in time so Ingrid listened to the voicemail. It was her mother, Ursula, saying that she had developed pneumonia and that the staff wants to transfer her to a nursing home. Whoa.

Two days ago, we were told that Ursula would have a feeding tube placed directly into her stomach, because even after all this time, she cannot keep solid food down,with hopes of her being discharged sometime next week. Now, pneumonia. I had pneunomia 3 years ago. Of course, I was only 40 at the time. Ursula is 73, and with everything else happening, this is devastating. Ingrid is at the hospital at this time. I am home, sick with a bad cold and horrible congestion. So going to visit is not a good idea.

This is the type of thing that you're never ready for. Aging parents struggling with their health. Both my parents are gone, Mom having died in 1981 when I was 16, and my dad died in 2002 at age 76 from bone cancer. Ingrid is going to have a lot to deal with. I hope that I can be a help to her.

My cousin Cathy's funeral is this Friday morning @ 11 am. I hope to be well enough to go, but probably not. And of course, Ingrid needs me, so that takes priority.

More later.

1 comment:

jel said...

hi bob,
hope things are going better!
and are feeling better!