Thursday, January 17, 2008

It's been a while...

since I last posted. During that time, my mother in law's condition has improved somewhat, to the point that if she can eat solid food and keep it down without nausea, she could be cleared to go home soon. We still don't know about any schedule for chemo or anything like that yet.

This whole ordeal has been the hardest on Ingrid. She wants to be there with her mother, but Ursula is not the best hospital patient. Being a retired RN, she knows the score. But when she's the one in the hospital bed, she expects the entire floor staff to be at her beck and well as family and friends. When that is not the case, she throws a fit. She's 73, and it still works for her. I believe that she does what she does, because it has worked for her. That makes for very strained relationships with her kids (Tony, Kirk, Ingrid) sometimes. Make no mistake, when she is sick, they circle the wagons, like families do. I have observed this dynamic for nearly 10 years now. Unlike in the beginning, I know when to keep my mouth shut. :-)

I did not see Ingrid at all yesterday, but we talked on the phone. Today I met her for lunch. During that time, at 12:55pm, she got a call from work, wanting her to take a case @ a town almost 40 miles 2pm. She talked them down to 3pm....we raced home to our house, where she had not been since Sunday....stayed 25 minutes....then left for work. She comes home, to our house, tonight. Being a CNA for an agency means driving to various assignments, sometimes with little notice. On top of that, it is snow-showering in our part of the country, with lows tonight expected to be 15 degrees. Above zero. Great. Rain....which will freeze,...and Ingrid thirty-five miles from home, having to drive in it to get home. Oh my.

I continue in my efforts to find stable employment. Temp work pays $7.50 to $8.00 an hour around here. About 40% less than what I made at the factory. A humbling experience, to be sure.

Meanwhile, my cousin Cathy is stricken with cancer that made necessary the amputation of her lower left leg. Now the cancer has spread to the bones. It's just a matter of time.

More later.


Glenna Marshall said...

Welcome to the blogging world! And thanks for still reading my blog!

I hope your mother-in-law's condition improves greatly. Your cousin, also.
Praying for you guys.

Delia said...

Wow, we are praying for Ursula and you all in having to deal with it! I pray that the Lord will give you strength and patience!!! Much love to you both! Praying for Ingrid and her work schedule and for you that you will find stable work!!! Looking forward to seeing you both!!!!!