Thursday, July 2, 2009

"Death....is a part of life"

The title is a quote from Forrest Gump. Sally Field, as his mom, says those words to him as she lays dying. It has always been true....I just hadn't heard it put that way until that movie.

I first began to learn about death at age seven, when my father's parents died within 3 months of each other. It continued through childhood, with the death of a classmate at age 13, and a classmate's mother the same year, along with a seven month old cousin.

At sixteen, I lost the person closest to me, my mother. It altered the course of my life. Everyone has stories like this; they are unique to the individual.

In the last two weeks, several celebrity deaths have made headlines. Some of those I have mentioned here. The latest: British acress Mollie Sugden, best known in America for her role as Mrs. Slocombe in "Are You Being Served?" and "Are You Being Served? Again!" She is the third cast member in the last two years to pass away.

Each person who passes away leaves grieving family and friends. In that regard, ordinary people and famous people are the same. We should appreciate and live the lives we have....with gratefulness, humility, and service to others.

Until next time, keep your stick on the ice.

No comments: