Sunday, July 12, 2009

Class reunion

This is a picture taken of several of the members of Warsaw (IL) High School Class of 1983. There are several who joined us at various times, who did not get their pictures taken.

Ingrid and I just returned from a reunion weekend. I had not seen these people since 1981. Due to my mother's death, I left Warsaw after sophomore year, and graduated from another school in 1983.

When we arrived in the area, the first person I made contact with was Melissa Keltner Mathis. Melissa and I missed being classmates by a year. She attended WHS for senior year only. I phoned her to let her know we were nearby, and about fifteen minutes later we met face to face, for the first time.

After getting settled in, more people began to arrive. Melinda Clothier Bosworth arrived from St. Louis with her daughter, Julie. As others flowed in, it became a festive party atmosphere. The afternoon was spent talking, laughing, and reminiscing. Several bottles of fine Missouri wine were opened, and consumed. Stories were told, good times, remembered, and wine and munchies polished off.

Around eight PM, a group of us totaling nine went to the Brewery restaurant. For many years Warsaw was the home of Burgemeister beer, and the brewery was located just north of town on the banks of the Mississippi River. The brewery closed in the late 60's and the building sat empty for years. Just a few years ago, it was remodeled into a restaurant. It is a great atmosphere, and really good food. There was a brand new local band playing called Hangover. They are mostly comprised of 17 and 18 year old guys. They played classic rock and newer hits too.

After dinner, we returned to the cabin with more stories, talking and laughing. I was up with the group until 3:15 AM, when the last ones not staying at the cabin left. I haven't had so much fun in a very long time.

A plan is in the works for another gathering in November, right before Thanksgiving and the same weekend as opening of deer season.

I think I will have more to say about this weekend in the coming days.

Until then, keep your stick on the ice.

No comments: